How do you know when your students are unmotivated?
What I look for is if the students come late for class, don’t seek help when needed, don’t keep up with the reading, students don’t apply what they have learned, or if students don’t participate in course content in a productive way.
Some methods that come to mind:
- Clearly articulate class goals
- Show relevance to student learning
- Highlight real world application
- Get student feedback on climate
- Give students adequate notice of assignments
I think as teachers we have to align three very important principles.
As teachers we need to identify and explain the knowledge and skills we take for granted.
I believe that identifying the unmotivated and helping the student through this is part of the great work we do as teachers.